Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is a cosmetic procedure that alters the shape of your nose. It can be performed for medical reasons, such as to improve breathing, or for aesthetic purposes. Rhinoplasty is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the world.
Types of rhinoplasties
Types of rhinoplasties include:
- Nasal reconstruction
- Nasal augmentation
- Nasal tip rhinoplasty
- Reduction rhinoplasty
The type of rhinoplasty that you undergo will depend on your individual goals and the condition of your nose.
Rhinoplasty can be performed using either open or closed techniques. In an open rhinoplasty, the surgeon makes an incision in the columella (the strip of tissue separating the nostrils). This allows the surgeon to have a clear view of the inside of the nose and make any necessary adjustments. A closed rhinoplasty is performed through incisions made inside the nostrils. This technique is less invasive than an open rhinoplasty and results in less scarring.
Most people who are unhappy with the appearance of their nose and want to improve its shape and size are suitable for rhinoplasty. However, you may not be suitable for rhinoplasty if you have one of the following conditions:
- A deviated septum – this is a condition where the thin wall separating the nostrils is crooked or off-center. correcting this will require a septoplasty, which is a different type of surgery
- Active acne – this can cause scarring that may make it difficult for the surgeon to get a clear view of your nasal anatomy
- Previous rhinoplasty surgery – if you’ve had previous rhinoplasty surgery, you may not be suitable for revision rhinoplasty. This is because the existing scar tissue can make it difficult for the surgeon to access your nasal anatomy
Things to consider before going under the knife
Before you undergo rhinoplasty, it’s important to consider the following:
- The risks and complications associated with rhinoplasty
- Your expectations for the results of the surgery
Rhinoplasty is a major surgery and, like all surgeries, carries certain risks and complications. These include:
- Complications from anesthesia
- Swelling and bruising
- Change in sense of smell
- Unsatisfactory results
It’s important to discuss the risks and complications associated with rhinoplasty with our surgeon before going under the knife.
You should also have realistic expectations for the results of your surgery.
Benefits of rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty can improve the appearance of your nose and boost your self-confidence. It can also be performed for medical reasons, such as to improve breathing.
How long does rhinoplasty take?
Rhinoplasty is a fairly lengthy surgery and can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to complete.
Are there age restrictions to have rhinoplasty?
There are no age restrictions for rhinoplasty. However, it’s important to note that the nose continues to grow and change shape as you age. This means that you may not be satisfied with the results of rhinoplasty if you undergo the surgery at a young age.
Is rhinoplasty painful?
Rhinoplasty is a major surgery and is associated with some discomfort. However, this can be managed with pain medication.
Length of hospital stay
Most people who undergo rhinoplasty are able to go home the same day. However, some people may need to stay in the hospital overnight for observation.
During the recovery phase, it’s important to:
- Apply ice to the area
- Avoid strenuous activity
- Eat a healthy diet
- Stay hydrated
It usually takes about 2 weeks for the bruising and swelling to subside. However, it can take up to 6 months for the final results of rhinoplasty to be visible.
Book a consultation
If you’re interested in rhinoplasty, please book a consultation with our surgeon. During the consultation, our surgeon will:
- Assess your suitability for rhinoplasty
- Discuss your goals and expectations for the surgery
- Examine your nose
- Answer any questions you may have
Book a call back
Let us call you back at a date and time that suits you. We’ll only call you within the selected time slot.