Breast Augmentation With Implants
Breast augmentation with implants is a cosmetic surgery procedure that involves increasing the size and shape of the breasts using breast implants. The surgery can be performed for a variety of reasons, including to improve the body contour of a woman who has lost weight, to correct a congenital breast deformity, or simply to enhance the appearance of the breasts.
There are two main types of breast implant: saline and silicone gel. Saline implants are filled with sterile salt water, while silicone gel implants are filled with a silicone gel. Both types of implant have a silicone outer shell.
Types of surgeries
There are two main types of breast implant surgery:
- Submuscular: The breast implant is placed beneath the pectoralis major muscle.
- Subglandular: The breast implant is placed above the pectoralis major muscle, in the subglandular space.
How is the procedure performed?
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia, which means that you will be asleep during the procedure. Your surgeon will make an incision in either the crease beneath your breast (submuscular) or in the natural fold beneath your breast (subglandular), and then insert the breast implant into a pocket created behind your breast tissue or muscle.
After the breast implants have been inserted, your surgeon will close the incisions with stitches or surgical tape. A surgical bra will be placed over your chest to support the breast implants.
Suitable candidates for breast augmentation with implants
Most women who are considering breast augmentation with implants are concerned about the size and shape of their breasts. You may be a good candidate for breast implants if you have one or more of the following concerns:
- You feel that your breast size is too small in proportion to the rest of your body.
- Your breast size has changed after pregnancy, weight loss, or aging.
- One of your breasts is noticeably larger than the other.
- You have a congenital breast deformity (such as Poland syndrome).
- You have undergone mastectomy (breast removal) and would like breast reconstruction.
Things to consider…
Breast augmentation with implants is a major surgery, and it is important to carefully consider all of the risks and benefits before undergoing the procedure. Some potential risks and complications associated with breast implants include:
- Capsular contracture: This is a condition in which the scar tissue around the breast implant begins to contract, causing the breast to feel hard and distorted.
- Implant rupture: This occurs when the breast implant breaks or leaks.
- Changes in nipple sensation: You may experience changes in sensation in your nipples or breast skin after the surgery.
- Infection: There is always a risk of infection associated with any surgical procedure.
- Bleeding: You may experience some bleeding immediately after the surgery.
Benefits of breast augmentation with implants
Each woman will have to weigh the potential risks and benefits of breast augmentation with implants before deciding whether or not to undergo the procedure. Some potential benefits of breast implants include:
- Improved breast contour: Breast implants can improve the overall contour of your breasts.
- Enhanced breast size and shape: Breast implants can increase the fullness and projection of your breasts.
- Improved self-esteem and quality of life: Many women who have breast implants feel that their surgery has improved their self-esteem and quality of life.
Are there age limits?
There are no age limits when it comes to breast augmentation with implants. However, it is important to note that breast implants are not guaranteed to last a lifetime. You may need to have the implants replaced at some point down the road. Additionally, breast implants may interfere with breast cancer screening mammograms. Therefore, it is important to discuss your breast augmentation with implants with your doctor and make sure that you are up-to-date on all breast cancer screenings.
How long is the procedure?
The breast augmentation with implants procedure usually takes about 1-2 hours to complete.
Is it painful?
You will likely experience some pain and discomfort after the surgery. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medication to help you manage the pain. Additionally, you may need to take it easy for a few days or weeks after the surgery.
Length of hospital stay
Most women who undergo breast augmentation with implants are able to go home the same day as their surgery. However, some women may need to stay in the hospital overnight for observation.
You will likely need to take it easy for the first few days or weeks after the surgery. It may take several weeks for you to fully recover from the surgery. During your recovery, you should avoid lifting heavy objects, participating in strenuous exercise, and getting your incisions wet.
You will likely have some scars after the surgery. These scars will eventually fade, but they will never completely disappear.
When can I return to work?
Most women are able to return to work within a week or two of the surgery. However, you should avoid lifting heavy objects or participating in strenuous exercise for at least 4-6 weeks after the surgery.
When can I resume my normal activities?
You should avoid lifting heavy objects or participating in strenuous exercise for at least 4-6 weeks after the surgery. Additionally, you should avoid getting your incisions wet for at least 2 weeks after the surgery.
Book a consultation
If you are interested in breast augmentation with implants, why not book a consultation with our team. During your consultation, we will assess your individual needs and goals to determine if breast augmentation with implants is right for you. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your desired results.
Book a call back
Let us call you back at a date and time that suits you. We’ll only call you within the selected time slot.